Catholic Institutions collection
Scope and Contents
The Catholic Institutions collection consists of newspaper clippings, publications, correspondence, and other materials relating to Catholic institutions in Texas. Material dates from c. 1854 to 2018 with most of the material coming from the 1960s and 1970s. The bulk of the material concerns educational institutions in the state.
- Creation: 1854 - 2023
- Catholic Archives of Texas (Organization)
The Catholic Institutions collection was created by the Catholic Archives of Texas to document the history of the various Catholic institutions in Texas other than parishes or missions. This collection includes items from places such as hospitals, schools, and orphanages.
The material has been collected from several sources including archives staff or donations from the institutions, diocesan archives, or Texas Catholic Conference of Bishops staff. The collection began as a newspaper clippings subject file with articles from Catholic press and grew to include types of material added over time. Accessions relating to Catholic institutions that are too small, often a single item or folder, to justify being described as a separate collection are placed in the Catholic Institution collection.
27 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The Catholic Institutions collection consists of newspaper clippings, publications, correspondence, and other materials relating to Catholic institutions in Texas.
The collection is organized into the series listed below, each series is organized by type of institution and then alphabetically by location of the city or town. At the beginning of some series and subseries there is general information.
• Health Care Facilities, 1892-2008 series contains information on hospitals, retirement and nursing homes, counseling and/or treatment centers, shelters, and maternity homes for young women.
• Education, c. 1854-2018 series is the largest series in the collection and contains information on colleges and universities, Newman Centers, K-12 schools, and seminaries in Texas. The Seminaries subseries consists of both major (post-secondary) and minor (high school) seminaries; high school seminaries are located within the Seminaries subseries.
• Cemeteries, 1893-2007 series contains information on cemeteries in the state.
• Orphanages, Adoption Centers, Nurseries, 1902-2000 series contains information on orphanages and adoption centers, information on adoption centers with maternity homes is found in the Health Care Facilities series.
• Retreat Centers, 1963-2014 series concerns the property owned by the Church to host retreats and other gatherings.
• Convents and Monasteries, 1954-1968 series contains information about religious houses operated by religious orders in Texas.
This collection is expected to have ongoing annual additions.
This collection was processed by Eric J. Hartmann in 2015 and Selena Aleman in 2021.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Catholic Archives of Texas Repository
6225 E US 290 HWY EB SVRD
Austin TX 78723 United States